[pct-l] Trip/Water Report Cajon to Big Bear

Paul Bodnar paulbodnar at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 11 17:27:20 CDT 2010

Hike Summary: Started at Cajon Pass (342) hiked southbound all the way to Big Bear (about 281).  Plan was to hike all the way to I-10 but snow at an elevation of 7100 feet was too bad for me to safely pass without an ice-axe.  I retreated to Fawnskin and was able to get a ride to Cedar Glen. I then picked up the PCT at the Deep Creek Bridge and hiked down the PCT following Deep Creek.  I then departed out from the 173 near the Mojave Dam.

Temperature range was from 32 to 86 F and the weather was mostly sunny.

Paul

Below is the water report from my hike.

Water was plentiful on this early season hike.  A lot of the seasonal streams not identified below were flowing.  I did not include them because they would likely be dry in a few weeks.

284.6 Little Bear Springs Trail Camp-faucet off but stream nearby 4/9

284.9 Holcomb Creek-flowing about 2 feet deep 4/9

291?  Cienega Larga Fork flowing 4/9

291.2 Holcomb Creek at Crab Flats Rd. - flowing about 2 feet deep 4/9

292.4 Cienega Redonda Tr @ fork of Holcomb Creek- flowing about 2 feet deep 4/9

292.8 Holcomb Creek at Hawes Ranch Trail - flowing about 2 feet deep 4/9

293.1 Holcomb Crossing trail Camp- flowing about 2 feet deep 4/9

297.2 Deep Creek Bridge- flowing about 2 feet deep 4/10

305?  Seasonal Stream at bottom of Map C12- flowing 1-2 feet deep 4/10

306.6 Deep Creek Hot Springs- flowing about 4 feet deep 4/10

312.1 Deep Creek Ford-flowing about 5+ feet deep 4/10

313.2 Water Cache-EMPTY 4/10

315.2 Trailside Spring in canyon-flowing 4/7

317.0 Grass Valley Creek-about 2 feet deep 4/6

325.? Stream flowing into the lake...- a few inches deep 4/6

328.? Picnic Area-Northbound Hikers after crossing under low power lines with FAA required red, yellow, white balls take the dirt road 1/4 mile down to the picnic area.  Water, toilets, picnic benches, shade and trash was available.  4/6

332.8 Small Stream - flowing a few inches deep 4/6

335.6 Little Horsethief Canyon- flowing 1-2 inches deep 4/6

341.7 Crowder Canyon-flowing 2-3 inches deep 4/6

342.1 Interstate 15 in Cajon Canyon - McDonalds still open with $1 Menu and endless drinks 4/10