[pct-l] Billy Goat's lost poles

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Sat Apr 10 21:22:43 CDT 2010

On Apr 10, 2010, at 6:30 PM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> There is no way a
> hiker is going to forget or voluntarily abandon hiking poles.

I left my poles in somebody's campsite in Oregon. I stopped there to
get water and there was a 70+ year old couple out backpacking camped
at a small site next to the spring. Very inspiring to see them out
enjoying nature. I stopped to talk with them while their vicious dog
strained at his leash ready to kill me. They warned me not to go near
it. I got my water, said good-bye and went off up the trail. About a
15 minutes later I realized I felt a little too free. Oops! Where are
my poles? I had to go all the way back and deal with that dog again
to get them.

I hope the people who found Billy Goat's poles read this topic so
they know he was behind them. Not sure he'd go to Idyllwild. Maybe
he'll be (re)united with some poles at the kickoff.

Books I've written:
~ Piper's Flight
~ Adventure and Magic
~ Santa Barbara Hikes