[pct-l] San Jacinto

evanaaron at juno.com evanaaron at juno.com
Thu Apr 8 12:33:18 CDT 2010

I am sure everyone has heard about the early conditions in the San Jacinto Wilderness. Went up there yesterday to Apache Peak. There is a steep side of snow which can be passed although with some difficulty. An easier route is to walk up over the top of Apache Peak and continue down to the trail (clear as far as I could see, at least to Antsell Rock.) Head over the top just before the PCT turns to the eastern side of Apache. This would give you a snow-free decent back to the trail. Not sure right now how much further you could get- probably a ways though. Going back up today with full mountaineering gear (and a group). We will probably be hiking with a GPS and try to mark the trail as best as possible for all the early birds. Might be a storm on Saturday though? Anyway,
Happy trails
Evan PCT 2010