[pct-l] nerve problems in feet/bigger size shoe needed

Tom Holz (Bigfoot) tom-pct at spacing-guild.net
Sat Apr 3 21:36:31 CDT 2010

I also had very bad foot pain--and shin splints--primarily caused by
problems in my gait due to muscular dysfunction in my right hip.

Correcting my gait has all but eliminated the original pain, and now I
am trying to "reprogram" my spine to automatically use my right leg more
correctly.  A good physical therapist--or body work like Rolfing--should
be able to help.  My chances of finishing a PCT thru-hike went up
overnight when I found the problem a month ago.

I now find it odd that I spent years agonizing over gear, pack weight,
and shoes, but never once looked at my gait and researched how to
walk/run/hike correctly.

Tom Holz (Bigfoot)