[pct-l] The Market

Dirk Rabdau dirk9827 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 3 18:17:16 CDT 2010

Gentlemen -

Could we please refrain from name-calling on the PCT-L?

The Pacific Crest Trail is just that, a trail. Hiking it is an accomplishment, but let's be honest, it isn't saving the planet, eradicating polio or solving global warming. Acting like petulant nine-year-olds doesn't help anything.

Frankly (and this from a guy who purchased the Trail Atlas last year) I am all in favor of anyone publishing whatever the or she would like about the PCT. Competition breeds better products. It is simple as that. The market (of hikers) will ultimately settle this.

I'd prefer that everyone spend far less time bashing others, and far more time supporting their fellow hiker. Myself, I benefited greatly from the help and encouragement of hikers I met along the trail. The mental and physical ebb-and-flow of hiking for nearly six months is taxing enough without bickering.

Dirk