[pct-l] water straw; SODIS water disinfection

Dan Africk danstheman at gmail.com
Sat Apr 3 03:22:40 CDT 2010

I think the problem with a water straw, and to an extent any in-line filter,
is that it takes a lot of effort to "suck" the water through the filter. As
a result I think you are likely to drink less water, and increase the danger
of dehydration. The problem would only get worse as the filter gets clogged,
which could happen pretty quickly since some water straws have really small
filter elements. It also seems like quite a hassle to carry a bottle of
contaminated water, and every time you want to take a drink you have to take
out your straw, open the cap, insert your straw, then put away the
straw....too many steps.

Another issue is that you won't be able to use any drink mixes, protein
shakes, or anything like that unless you boil water. This may or may not be
an issue for you. Also keep in mind that some of these straws also contain
iodine. I think you're best bet is to use a full-size pump filter, or if you
don't mind chemicals go with chlorine dioxide.

In theory you could carry a clear bottle or water bag and use the solar
water disinfection method, at least in the desert. Since most people carry
these anyway, its zero additional weight. You'd have to wait 6 hours before
your water was safe, though: http://www.sodis.ch/index_EN