[pct-l] Sleeping bag liners

Eric Lee saintgimp at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 2 02:44:08 CDT 2010

Jukebox wrote:

5, you dont need a cocoon.  It will be a pain in the ass and a 15 degree bag
is plenty.  I used my capilenes sometimes to sleep.  Don't worry, you will
have plenty of town stops to do laundry in.

I'm ambivalent about sleeping bag liners.

I like the concept: my stinky filthy body is going to be pretty rough on the
down fill in my bag so use a liner to keep it cleaner.  Yes, I can wash my
bag but that's not a trivial exercise and can be hard on the bag.  The liner
adds a bit of extra warmth to my 30 degree bag.  It also works nicely as a
light sheet by itself when it's too hot for the bag.

On the other hand, it is definitely a pain to use.  It takes some fiddling
to get the bag, the liner, and my body to all line up the same way when I
want to get in.  It sometimes gets twisted around while I sleep.  It's extra
weight.  It's not very multi-purpose.

Quick PCT-L poll: how many people use each of the following options:

*  Sleeping bag liner
*  Dedicated sleeping clothes
*  Nothing in particular - I don't worry about it

Eric