[pct-l] New Montrail AT plus Trail Runners

Dave and Cindy ihikeon at comcast.net
Thu Apr 1 16:03:11 CDT 2010

I just wanted to share my experience with this new shoe that Montrail has recently come out with.  It is specifically for long distance hikers hence the name Montrail AT plus.

In the previous years I have worn the "old" version of the Montrail Hardrocks.  As many might know, Montrail decided to change this version and so the "new" version is not what one would expect from the name.  I have read that people were disappointed expecting the same solid performance as from the "old" version.
Montrail came out with this new shoe to replace what others were used to with the "old" Hardrock and they call it the AT Plus.

I wore these today for a training walk.  First of all as soon as I put them on I was happy. These shoes have more room than the "old" Hardrocks.  They are beefed up and very supportive.  And most important, they are so comfortable.

I also want to mention that I use the Montrail Enduro Soles in these shoes.  It has made a world of difference using a supportive insole like this.  They are not that expensive and all you need to do is heat them in the oven for 2 minutes, put them in your shoe and stand on them for 2 minutes.  They mold to your feet and give you a custom insole.  I used these on my last thru hike attempt after feeling the beginning symptoms of Plantar Fasciitis.

These suggestions are just from my own personal observation.  As you know everyone's feet are different so if you have a chance to find these shoes in a store you might want to try on a pair and see for yourself.

For more gear reviews see our journal in the gear list.  http://www.trailjournals.com/gear.cfm?trailname=9117

Zelda