[pct-l] (no subject)

Vic Hanson vichansonperu at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 30 20:52:10 CDT 2009

Hi Ann,

It's already been 4 years since I was in your situation, time flies! I was in good shape from living and hiking at high altitude here in Peru, and did a fair amount of hiking in the U.S. in the 10 weeks or so before starting the trail. As a result I was able to start with 20 mile days from day one, and felt strong and ready to go. What wasn't ready was my feet - I had bad blisters before I got to Big Bear, and had to spend a few days there to give them a rest. I think the problem was a combination of things, not being used to doing 20 miles every day, with a pack, and in the hot desert. I started with too heavy of socks, liner socks and mid weight hiking socks, after awhile I switched to light weight wicking ankle socks (Starter brand at Walmart, I think they are 3 pairs for $4), along with the liners (Walmart nylon dress socks). I have used this combo ever since and it works great for me.

Sure you can get in shape on the trail - and suffer while doing it. Why not do it ahead of time and you will enjoy it a lot more on the trail. As has been said, that give you the chance to make adjustments in your gear as well. I say get in all the miles you can, with your planned pack weight, and you will be glad you did once you get on the trail.

I had planned on hiking the trail in 4 months, looks easy on paper if you are used to 20 mile days, but much harder to do them day after day. And you won't be able to do the big days in the snow, and normally you will be in the snow if you are starting early, both in S. Cal and in the Sierra. I finally had to give up on the 4 month idea and did it in 151 days (and changed my return flight date to allow that).

If you are interested in the appendix to my journal, which tells about my gear, food and resupply strategy, you can download it for free from my Lulu site:
http://www.lulu.com/content/e-book/sugar-daddys-pacific-crest-trail-thru-hike-appendix/127513

Have a great hike,
Sugar Daddy

Ann wrote:

I'm considering attempting a thru-hike in 2010 and I'd like to have some
training goal in mind.  What do you guys think I should be physically able
to do before I attempt this?

Thanks for your input!