[pct-l] Solo Hiking vs Hiking with Companions...."different breed of cats"

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Wed Sep 30 05:17:38 CDT 2009

Carolyn wrote:....I broke my ankle....near Cascade Locks.....
Tom wrote:.........Other people are a distraction.....................
Mountaingoat Fraser wrote.....I like both sides of the coin......
JMT Reinhold writes:
You can not discount the fact that there is safety in numbers anymore
than you can discount the fact that there are distractions in
numbers......It's all up to the individuals tolerance for danger and
distractions.

The bulk of my hiking the last 35 years has been with the Boy Scouts.
Are they a distraction?.......You bet.
Are they a nuisance?...........Sometimes.
Are they a pain in the rear end and require constant
supervision?.......Of course.
Do they infringe on my solitude?.........Most certainly.
Do I regret hiking with them?..........Not at all,  to the contrary,  I
enjoy hiking with them, seeing them all big eyed and exited about being
in the wilderness.
I enjoy teaching them the art of backpacking and seeing them develop a
love for the wilderness.
Teaching them the art of proper bear protection, especially
counterbalancing, is always amusing.
The same applies when hiking with my wife and hiking buddies.

I also have done extensive solo hiking and like it very much.
Some folks say I am a...."different breed of a cat"....maybe so, but I
like the kind of cat I am.

Solo hiking has its advantages and disadvantages.......You do see more
animals and are more in tune with nature but are also lonelier and more
vulnerable.
To tell you the truth, I just like being in the wilderness.......Solo or
with companions.
Then again I'm an outgoing guy....I enjoy meeting other hikers on the
trail, chat with them, share a laugh with them.
You don't have to be alone to enjoy the wilderness.......but you can, if
that is your preference.

Hiking with a partner is like a marriage, so choose your partner
carefully for compatibility.
If you got the right partner........It can be heaven.
If you got the wrong partner.....It can be hell.

Of course, some folks are just not cut out for marriage or partnerships
and should, perhaps, stay   "solo".

JMT Reinhold
The Tom cat