[pct-l] Mosquitos

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Mon Sep 7 13:52:05 CDT 2009

I hiked through Oregon in July when the mosquitoes had to be at the
peak. I had never experienced anything like that. They are insane.
There was no relief. They bit me through my clothing. I had to wear
two layers of shirts and a skirt over my pants plus a head net and
deet on my hands. All that even though it was almost 100 degrees some
days. I couldn't go outside in the middle of the night to pee. I had
to keep my shirt tucked in because once when I bent over, a swarm
flew up my shirt and instantly I had welts all over my chest just
from that one second of bending over. Others I met, even a couple of
people from Alaska said the mosquitoes are not even that bad in Alaska.

I happened to go to Seattle when I was hiking in Washington and I saw
a NY Times article about mosquitoes. It turns out there is a new
breed of invasive mosquitoes called Asian Tiger mosquitoes. The
description of their appearance and behavior exactly matches what I
experienced in Oregon. Small with black and white stripes on their
abdomen, they bite at any time of the day or night, they alight and
bite instantly and need almost no water to reproduce. In Oregon they
appeared to be breeding in the margins of water on the edges of
melting snow.

People kept telling me the mosquitoes would be worse in Washington.
Fortunately, what few I saw there were the normal kind. The kind that
have to think about it before they bite you. They think just long
enough for you to smack them.