[pct-l] seam sealing a taped-seam sil-nylon tarp/fly?

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Fri Sep 4 13:39:15 CDT 2009

Good morning, Linda,

Sealing SilNylon shelters or garments isn’t a very precise business.  I’ve
had great success just painting the sealer liberally on all seams, inside
and out.  If the tape seems any bit loose I do what I can to open the cracks
to better slop in the sealer.

Little bottles of devoted sealer can be purchased, but I find a better
option is a tube of regular GE automotive silicone caulk which is then
thinned with mineral spirits, i.e. paint thinner, before being
applied.  I squeeze
a strip of caulk into a small, flat container and gradually mix in the
thinner.  It requires a bit of stirring to get a uniform mix.  For the first
pass over the seams I use a fairly thin mix so it will better wick into the
cracks and soak into the threads and their holes.  The next coat – if I
choose to double coat – can be thicker to bridge cracks and holes.

On the trail I’ve been guilty of stopping a pesky leak with a swipe of
ChapStick.

Steel-Eye

Hiking the Pct since before it was the PCT -- 1965

 http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

 http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09