[pct-l] Minimum pack size/volume

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Thu Oct 29 13:46:04 CDT 2009

Good morning, Thomas,

My base weight is about the same as yours – maybe a pound or so less – and
everything fits well in a 2900 cu. in. GoLite Breeze.  Even my sleeping pad
is folded inside the pack against my back.  The Breeze has an additional 850
cu. in. capacity available via the extensible top collar, but I rarely use
any of that capacity, nor do I stuff the three external mesh pockets to
anywhere near their capacity.

When departing north from Tehachapi Pass bound for Kennedy Meadows with a
full-load of consumables, I may extend the collar upward a few inches but
that is a rare and temporary event.  With or without consumables, my pack
always looks full because I don’t compress or stuff my sleeping bag.  I poke
it as loosely as possible in whatever space remains, and it puffs up however
it can.

Steel-Eye
Hiking the Pct since before it was the PCT -- 1965

 http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

       http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09