[pct-l] The man who walks with bears

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Thu Oct 29 11:13:44 CDT 2009

Good morning, Ken,

I agree with Professor Rodgers’ comments in Matt Walker’s article that black
bears are not much to be feared, but I must question the entire article when
I see a glaring inconsistency.  Walker writes, “There is also an assumption
that feeding black bears may cause the animals to aggressively seek food out
from walkers and campers.”  Rogers’ reply was, "The funny thing is, there is
no scientific evidence to support this.  It is not what we see."

For an animal, black bears are bright, and they are very resourceful at
feeding their large and omnivorous appetites.  Once a bear tastes the joys
of concentrated Calories found in typical hiker food -- treats like peanut
butter, trail mix, Snickers Bars, etc. --  it’s hard to believe it would not
immediately and persistently prefer such food to the grass, grubs, and
rodents that normally requires a full-day’s effort to obtain, particularly
once it has learned it can acquire that hiker-food with impunity.  The
professor says there is no scientific evidence, but I believe the wildlife
biologist associated with Sierra Interagency Black Bear Group (SIBBG)
would enthusiastically substantiate the opposite opinion.

Steel-Eye

Hiking the Pct since before it was the PCT -- 1965

 http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

 http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09