[pct-l] The man who walks with bears

Ken Murray kmurray at pol.net
Thu Oct 29 09:53:56 CDT 2009

Folks, there is a HUGE difference between Lynn Rogers, the subject of the BBC documentary and Timothy Treadwell, who was killed by grizzlies.

Lynn, who I know, is a phenominally experienced professional bear researcher.  He was the chief bear biologist for the USFS, until he retired, and has written hundreds of academic papers on black bears, his particular specialty.

The organization that he has set up, the North American Bear Center, contributes greatly to understanding about the black bear, and is somewhat amazing to read.  I particularly recommend their slide shows.

www.bear.org

I have gained a real understanding about why black bears are so different than the rest of the bears on the planet, and was particularly interested in knowing that there are varieties that are pure white!