[pct-l] Feathered Friends

Seth Schumacher eragon921 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 17:53:18 CDT 2009

J,

I've used a Feathered Friends bag for both my CDT and AT hikes and
absolutely LOVE it. As OD said, when you order one from them you
customize it. I bought a Hummingbird 15 degree bag with an Epic nylon
shell. In total it weighs 1lb 11oz without a stuff sack. I've never
gotten wet in it and it has shed AT rain and condensation amazingly
well, though if you're really worried, spend the extra and get the eVent
shell. I once woke up in a shelter and had other hikers with synthetic
bags soaked from rain that blew in and when I stood up in my bag the
water just slid off. Some of the shell was a little damp, but nothing
that wasn't fixed by drying it in the sun that evening. The only caveat
to Feathered Friends is certainly the cost. I think I paid $350 for
mine, but I couldn't be happier and I'll definitely be buying another
bag from them. I've very rarely been cold in it and I can always remedy
that with a jacket or other layer. I've even used hand warmers once, and
a friendly trail pooch is even better.

I've never used Western Mountaineering bags, though I've heard good
things about them. Since I found Feathered Friends I just can't go to
anyone else.

--
Seth "Osprey" Schumacher
President Willamette Outdoor Recreational Climbing Club
1-406-223-6336 | osprey at ospreysjourneys.com