[pct-l] SPOT and Yuppie 911

Amanda L Silvestri aslive at sbcglobal.net
Tue Oct 27 16:34:19 CDT 2009

I have been following all of this discussion on the SPOT System and Yuppie 911.  I hope this is not just another case of the pre-convinced preaching to ourselves. I hope some new hikers have been reading this.

It sure would be nice if SPOT could include in their packaging a little booklet with various scenarios in which one might find him or herself while hiking in the wilderness.  Then they could present a variety of actions that you could take (other than pressing 911) and their likely consequence.  Each scenario could conclude with a short review of pre-planing mistakes, poor equipment choices, too little self-education or navigation skills, no compass, failure to check the weather forecast, not bring rain gear or cold weather gear, not dressing in layers, not bring enough food, not reading the map and studying the terrain or locating the likely water sources and then taking the time of year into account, etc.

Come to think of it.  This could be made into an actual book that one of you older aching and decrepit types could write.  Just kidding.  A younger (still hiking) but experienced, person could do this.  Hay, what a fun way to stay off cabin fever this winter.  It would end up being sort of like that page in backpacker magazine, only greatly expanded.  It would be fun to read and test oneself with.  I would buy it.  Who wants to write it?  Just a thought.

Shepherd