[pct-l] REI

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Tue Oct 27 16:15:51 CDT 2009

I remember when Patagonia was all wooden bins, too. And it was called
Great Pacific Ironworks.

Here is my REI story.

I went to REI in Seattle for some new shoes. I walked in with my
stained hiking clothes and my current pair of hole-infested running
shoes. I told the shoe guy I wanted some lightweight, breathable,
mesh running shoes. He came back with a stack a mile high of boxes of
leather hiking boots. When I insisted that I wanted running shoes and
pointed to a pair that I wanted to try, he brought them out and
basically washed his hands of me. I could get no more help in the
shoe department the rest of the afternoon.

I got the sense that it really is about "lifestyle" or "image" and
that they just don't get it. Especially they don't get lightweight
hiking.

But they aren't all bad. A year before that I got a great backpack
from them. But maybe they were more helpful because I wanted
something more "normal."