[pct-l] Crampons

frooger1 at comcast.net frooger1 at comcast.net
Fri Oct 23 23:29:37 CDT 2009

I'm a climber and hiker and belong to the Mountaineers and Everett Mountain Rescue. I'm intrigued by the write ups. I like to be prepared and have seen some of the areas in the Northern sections that an ice axe and crampons are needed. Practice is the key to doing a self arrest. However, Practicing and not arresting correctly while you practice is why there is serious situations when you need to arrest. There are different ways to arrest depending on how you fall. I recommend reading Mountaineering Freedom of the Hills 7th edition, Craig Connally The Mountaineering Handbook, and other literature like this. Then go and practice with someone who knows how to arrest correctly. Craig Connally has a very good section on how to use trekking poles for self arrest. This may or may not work. trying this while practicing will only tell. I read a blurb about ice screws. If your going to bring ice screws then you will need a rope, helmet, and harness. Now you have ventured into the technical world. Training, training, training  will be the best practice for this. Hope to see you all out there and not on a mission.