[pct-l] you all rock!!

Scott Bryce sbryce at scottbryce.com
Tue Oct 20 22:30:59 CDT 2009

Randy Fitch wrote:
> I hope to see you all out on the trail, Thanks Again!! ..other than
> the Pocket PCT what are some really good maps and detailed resupply
> and town info?

IMHO, the best maps are in the PCT Atlas. The best town and resupply
guide is Yogi's PCT handbook. I also used Yogi's handbook along with the
Water Report to plan a water strategy.

If you are not into following your progress on a map (not always
necessary, since the route is generally well marked) the Data Book is
also very helpful to help you track your progress.

> oh... coming from FL should I buy most small items (fuel sources,
> toiletries, etc..)  in san diego or is there some where further down
> toward campo like an outfitter or such?

You won't have an opportunity, nor the time, to shop on the way to
Campo. I did not go into town at Lake Morena, so I cannot comment on
facilitates there. There is a general store in Mount Laguna that caters
mostly to the car camping crowd. The mini mart in Warner Springs is very
small. The first town of any significant size is Idyllwild. So if you
want to have it for the first 150 miles of the trail, you will want to
have it in your pack by the time you leave San Diego.

In your situation, I would buy it in Florida, except for stove fuel,
which I would pick up in San Diego. Any last minute items you forgot to
pack should be purchased in San Diego.

> and do i send my initial bounce box(if chosen to use) from san diego
> or else where? unless it is just personal?

Do you want to pay postage from Florida? Do you want to carry your
bounce box into Mount Laguna? I think you will want to mail it from San
Diego.

> Gaiter's? what's this? necessary?

Gaiters are a matter of personal preference. You will be amazed how much
dirt and grit gets into your shoes and through your socks. Your toes
will be black at the end of the day. I didn't use gaiters, so I cannot
comment on how well they work.

Here is one source:
http://www.dirtygirlgaiters.com/

While I am on the subject of dirty feet, the biggest mistake I made was
not taking care of my feet properly. A few times a day, you will want to
stop, take off your shoes and socks, wash the grit off your feet, and
check for blisters. Then switch you socks for a dry pair, and pin the
damp pair on to the back of your pack.

You will also want to be prepared to wash your legs up to your knees
every night, even if you hike in long pants.