[pct-l] you all rock!!

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Tue Oct 20 22:30:40 CDT 2009

Good evening, Curious George,

The maps I like best are from HalfMile at:  http://www.pctmap.net/index.html

These maps, and their associated GPS waypoints, can be downloaded free.  I
hike with them, but even if you don’t they are great for planning.

I fly to San Diego, and there are a few things that I can’t/won’t take with
me on the plane.  As a result I send a box to my San Diego trail angel/host
so it will be waiting when I arrive.   I guess that’s my first resupply box.
The second box – probably to Warner Springs -- could be shipped from San
Diego but that’s cutting it a bit close, time-wise. You can buy about
whatever you need in San Diego, which is a good thing because out towards
the trail there isn’t much in the way of handy supplies or outfitters.

Gaiters are fabric sleeves that attach to the top of shoes and snug around
the lower leg to preclude trail-trash getting into shoes.  I – and many
other hikers – use them because I wear low shoes, laced loosely; and I
really object to crud getting in my shoes.

Enjoy your planning,

Steel-Eye

Hiking the Pct since before it was the PCT -- 1965

 http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

 http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09