[pct-l] help

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Sat Oct 17 19:43:58 CDT 2009

On Oct 17, 2009, at 8:04 AM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:
> I am looking at the Golite Quest at 3lb 3oz, and the Pinnacle at
> 2lb even.
> Are these good packs and considering the weight difference is
> the quality better for a little heavier pack? Also what is the average
> suggested weight for a thru hiker to carry minus food?

Whatever pack you have should feel good, and you can't really tell
until you try it out. If you have to order online, you could try it
by loading it with your stuff and hiking around the block to keep it
clean enough to return. Many people recommend shopping at REI because
of their good return policy.

In the end, it's not a huge make-or-break thing. If you don't like
your pack, go buy a new one. You'll have your first chance to go to
REI in Agua Dulce and lots of opportunities to order things online
during the hike.

This goes for any gear. You have lots of opportunities during your
hike to send unwanted things home, order new things online or go to
stores and buy things. There is no need to stress out too much over
your gear decisions. You will be able to change your mind.

Pack weight varies for most people, but my observation is that MOST
of the time, people with little packs go far. People with big, heavy
packs do not. Do what you can.

> And for sleeping bags, i see many people concerned with the bags
> getting wet
> and   i am wondering where to lean on bags. Synthetic or down and
> can i use
> the same bag for the whole trip? or should i use a quilt?

Get a down bag and keep it protected when you are anywhere you might
get rained on or fall into a creek. You can simulate a quilt by
unzipping a regular bag. Most people are fine with a 20* bag.

> As far as cooking, me and a friend had talked about the 'Bushbuddy'
> and
> using natural fuel resources with some back up esbit tablets.

You can easily find lots of little sticks for a wood stove. Some
people do use them. I used one for a while but didn't like the smell.
You might consider an esbit back-up (and for places where wood
burning is prohibited) and do most of your cooking on a small
campfire. My friend did that. No wood stove to purchase or carry then.