[pct-l] Favorite Parts of the PCT

Susan Virnig susan at newstories.org
Mon Oct 12 12:20:09 CDT 2009

I'm a section hiker who's just finished WA & OR.  Having just turned 60, I'm
not sure if I will do the whole CA trail or "cherry-pick" the best parts.
But even if I start with the best parts, I could still go on to finish the
whole trail, life permitting.

So I am very interested in Diane's question about your favorite parts of the
PCT.  Next summer I'm planning to do a 2 week (+ or -) hike on the CA PCT.
Any suggestions about where I should start?

Here are my favorite parts of the WA/OR PCT:

Paysaten Wilderness -- Hart's Pass to Manning is spectacular

Goat Rocks & Mt Adams Wildernesses -- you're on top of the world

Eagle Creek alternate trail from the Columbia up to Mt. Hood -- incredible!

Three Sisters & Mt. Washington Wildernesses -- volcano views that won't quit

Crater Lake rim -- wild-camping with the full moon rising over the lake

--Susan from Spokane