[pct-l] Snow

Georgi Heitman bobbnweav at gmail.com
Sun Oct 4 09:39:02 CDT 2009

Two folks, a girl and guy, traveling separately, she's a day ahead, left
Echo Lodge last Sunday and Monday, headed NO.  I expect him, didn't give me
a name, named the woman ahead of him, but I didn't write it down (know it if
I heard it). I don't know if she'll stop here tho he said he thought she
would.  He should be here on the 12th he thought, if all goes well  Snow's
forecasted here as a* possibility* to 4000 ft (we're at 4550), and actually,
West Prospect Peak, out my window looks pretty white, but it could just be
haze.  There's been no rain here that I can tell overnight, but if that's
snow up there, the highway thru Lassen will be closed, at least for a few
days and that means the trail thru the park is doubtful.  The park people
usually plow the road one time if there's a prediction for good weather
ahead for a while longer.  They're working on the road thru the park, I know
they'd like to keep at it as long as possible.
 Does anyone know of anyone else still south of Old Station?  I know of some
coming back to hike thru our O.S. to Burney Falls burn area from last
August.  Snow shouldn't get in their way, unless they need to come up from
either Drakesbad or Hwy 36.  Drakesbad should be open to tourists still til
the 15th unless their road is compromised.  They'll continue to take hikers
in after the 15th, as long as they have a crew there, helping them get the
ranch ready for winter.  Just don't know about the trail to the north of the
ranch...it's quite a climb to higher elevations I hear....hard after a
Drakesbad breakfast, but the food is worth it, they say.
Anything anyone knows would be good to hear...........
Thanks,
FireFly