[pct-l] question about training

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Fri Oct 2 11:28:18 CDT 2009

Having done numerous section hikes of two to seven weeks over the last
30 years, I have lots of experience "starting" the trail.   I hike for x
number of weeks, get in shape, lose 20 pounds, and then stop.

I usually start a trip in relatively poor shape, especially as I head
into my late 50s.  The next trip I will make more of a concerted effort
to get my cardio-system ready.  I've learned the hiking muscles will
come, but it's having a strong heart and extended capillary system that
makes the first couple weeks easier.

Just imagine that when you elevate your heart rate you are lengthening
capillaries that terminate in the muscles.  With cardio work you are not
only growing capillaries you are creating spaces in the muscles to
deposit glucose, what the muscles burn.

When I get off the couch and start hiking I spend three or four weeks
expanding my capillary/glucose storage system.  Rather than depositing
glucose in the creation of belly fat and love handles and cottage cheese
butt/thighs, and worst of worst, in muscles like marbled beef, glucose
is transported to the muscles along capillaries, ready to be burned in
exercise.

The first three or four weeks are always fairly low mileage because I
learned to let my body tell me when to stop for the day, even if it's 7
miles and 2PM.  No glucose reserves in the muscles...

I think what's happening is that at some point during the day, I've
depleted the glucose stores in my muscles and am making my liver work
harder - ketosis.  Ketosis has a unique smell - you know when you're
ketotic...

After four or five weeks, I found I was doing 15 miles by 1PM, and still
had energy to walk - that was in 2005.   My capillary system had
extended by miles, and glucose stores in the muscles had exponentially
increased.

My experience says that it is the "head games" we inflict on ourselves
in our planning that has us expect to hike x number of miles a day.
I've heard it over and over here that once you start hiking, you
can/should just throw any planning you've done on how far to hike, how
to hike, etc., out the window, or into the breeze...

It might be that's the greatest hurdle to satisfying hiking - letting go
of the need to be somewhere at some time, or to average x number of
miles a day and just listen to your body.  And if you haven't done this
before, then the learning curve will be steep and "being-in-the-moment"
will be harder to find.  At some point most of us, even those in our 50s
and 60s wake up inside of doing a relatively effortless 20 mpd.

For young people with parents who worry, your big job will be to
convince them  you are capable of doing this hike, and that your contact
times/dates may vary by days.  I remember checking in late with my folks
on a hike, and they hadn't thought twice about it - I remember being a
little hurt they weren't more worried!!!

Having started long section hikes numerous times has my planning be
fairly minimal now.  I like to control what I eat and so have food
shipped to me.  It's taken years and years to know what I like to eat,
but I now do.  It only takes a couple hours now to shop for a month, and
a couple hours to put food in baggies, and another hour or two to box
the food and address the labels.  In 2005 I didn't start this process
til three days before getting on the bus to Manning.  On my first long
section hike in 1992 - planned for 75 days - it took my girlfriend and I
two months to get everything together.

For the absurdist perspective in long distance hiking, read Bill
Bryson's, "A Walk in the Woods."

Jeffrey Olson
Martin, SD