[pct-l] question about training

Brian Lewis brianle8 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 10:32:27 CDT 2009

Diane said:
" I think it's more important to build your endurance and cardio than to
worry too much about weight."

That's how I think about it, so long as that includes a healthy dose of
walking in the same shoes you'll use, to include at some fair distances.
I'm not advocating (one way or the other) that it's good to start on the
trail overweight to some degree; I just think that it's not the thing to
focus on.

A related comment I've seen in discussion threads is "why work to reduce
your base weight by one ounce if you're carrying 20 extra pounds on your
belly?"

I do agree with that in general for weekend and perhaps section hikes, and I
also agree with the sentiment when it comes down to a few ounces or less.
But I definitely would not agree with the suggestion that thru-hiker
training focused on body weight reduction is better than doing some basic
analysis of gear.    The ounce (or pound(s)) that could be saved via
the gear will be with you the whole trip otherwise; that body fat will melt
away in the first few weeks.   It seems to me that it's better to just get
in shape to do sustained walking and the fat will take care of itself.

Brian Lewis / Gadget '08
http://postholer.com/brianle