[pct-l] question about training

Janet Grossman janetgr at cableone.net
Thu Oct 1 23:13:35 CDT 2009

Diane,
I'm so glad, as well as sorry, to finally see somebody else saying they had the problem I did with blisters. I hiked a minimum of 30 miles every weekend and 5 miles every weekday, while carrying my pack with more weight than I intended to carry on the trail and wearing the shoes and socks I wore on the trail, for at least 4 months before starting my 2007 thru-hike attempt. I live in the AZ mountains, so was hiking in conditions not unlike SoCal, and I never had a single blister. By the end of day 1 on the PCT, I had my first blister, and very quickly had horrific and horribly painful blisters all over both feet. I took time off to attend the Kick-Off, then made it to Idylwild and went home for 2 weeks of recuperation. I got back on the trail and promptly got more blisters, finally had to give up for that year in Big Bear. I've gotten blisters on each section hike since, though only minor ones that were nowhere near incapacitating on my hike 2 weeks ago. I'm still working on figuring out what will work for my feet, as the rest of my body and my mind seemed quite able to do the whole trail in one go.
Janet

Regarding training and blisters. I had no blisters during all my
training prior to my hike last year. I hiked with my pack and chosen
footwear on trails steeper than the PCT and in Southern California
where it's warm and dry. But within about 4 days on the trail, I
started getting blisters. They did not let up until sometime after
Kennedy Meadows. So training did not equal no blisters for me.

This year, however, I didn't train very much. I walked my daily
errands and did some weekend hikes plus one long 9 day shakedown
hike. I got almost no blisters.

On both trips I ended up with other foot problems. I know of no real
solution for preventing foot problems. I think you have to do the
best you can and just listen to your feet. I rested a lot with lots
of zero days. This ultimately means that I'm probably not capable of
a complete thru-hike in one season. So what.

As for being overweight, I actually feel more energetic, stronger,
hike faster and can generally tolerate everything better when I'm a
little overweight. I think it's more important to build your
endurance and cardio than to worry too much about weight. It's going
to come off on the PCT no matter what you do.

And then it's going to come back after the PCT no matter what you do.