[pct-l] just added elevations to the

Postholer public at postholer.com
Thu Oct 1 21:20:35 CDT 2009

You're absoutley right Shepard! More climbing means it takes longer.

The intent of the information is to give you a ballpark idea of how long it
will take, not a precise time based on terrain and the abilities of every
unique hiker. I did consider adjusting the time based on the elevation
loss/gain, but again that time is based on the individuals abilities. It
would be rather straight forward to add this, but it would target a narrow
group of hikers. That's why it shows times to hike at different miles per
day.

the average thru-hiker has no problem doing 15-20 miles a day. If the tool
says 2 days at 15 miles per day, figure +/- 2 days depending on terrain and
a whole other slew of factors.

If you're scratching your head, the tool we're discussing  lets you click
twice on the blue trail trace and the second click shows the distance
between those 2 points and the time it takes to hike it at different speeds.
Give it a try:

http://postholer.com/gmap/gmap.php?trail_id=1

-postholer