[pct-l] Basecamp searched

Gary Wright gwtmp01 at mac.com
Thu Oct 1 14:36:52 CDT 2009

On Oct 1, 2009, at 2:12 PM, anna mathys wrote:

> For my PCT-hike in 2010 I'm looking for a place to pack the ressuply
> parcels
> and for someone who'd send them during summer (if possible the same
> person).
> I'm Swiss, 24 and have never been to the States. I intend to fly to
> the
> westcoast sometime in April and start hiking end of April/ beginning
> of May.

I think there are two different areas of consideration:
1) gear/maps 2) food.

For gear/maps I think it would be very helpful to have someone in
the States who can be your basecamp but I don't think that would
help for food.  I would also recommend finding someone on the
West coast for your gear basecamp as that will cut down on
postage expenses.

For food, I would recommend purchasing along the way. For those
locations along the trail where you can't really shop I recommend
doing you're shopping at a larger town and then just shipping to
yourself. For example you can shop in Ashland for all of Oregon and
ship packages to yourself.  Similarly you can shop in Cascade Locks
and ship to yourself for all of Washington.

Using this approach you have control of your food rather than
depending on someone else.  You also save money because you
are sending fewer packages.

Yogi's handbook has all the details for these sorts of resupply
strategies (www.pcthandbook.com).

Radar