[pct-l] Question about training

Paul Magnanti pmags at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 1 13:42:41 CDT 2009

Long distance hiking is the only intense physical activity I know of where people advocate
being a couch potato prior to the event.

You do not have to be in marathoner shape as someone alluded to (I'd argue you DON'T want to be
in marathoner shape. :D), but having a base level of physical fitness is gonna make the hike
easier in the beginning at the start on both a physical AND mental level. (If you aren't aching and groaning, you
are more likely to have fun..and complete the hike!)

We can discuss all day a titanium widget vs a lexan whatchmahoosey to shave 2 ounces off the
pack..OR you can exercise regularly and shave 10 lbs off your body. :)

It is indeed easier to discuss lexan whatchamahoosies while sucking down beer, than to take a 1 hr "power hike" in your local
park. . But, then again, so is driving from Mexico to Canada versus walking it. :)

Besides getting in physical and mental shape prior to a thru-hike, a base level of fitness is needed for your overall health.  I have yet
to see a valid reason why *not* exercising say 3 hrs a week is detrimental  prior to a long hike?

Finally, TV sucks. Why watch another episode of Generic Family Sitcom or Generic Medical Drama when you can  take
a bike ride, go on a vigorous walk with a pack, or just saunter outside casually?

This article is over from AT land..but think it could apply to getting in shape for any long trail:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=184425#post184425

Life is too short to be out of shape.  Physical activity is fun..and makes it so I can hike not only at 35..but at 65 and perhaps beyond. :)
(I'm no athlete..but I like to be in decent shape..not just for 4 mos every 2 yrs. :D)

--Thoreau
http://www.pmags.com
http://www.redbubble.com/people/pmags/art