[pct-l] Have had a hard time convincing my hiking partner...

jason moores jmmoores at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 30 16:23:56 CST 2009

Catch Up,

This past summer my fiance did not feel comfortable with the condition of the Sierra when we arrived in early June. The weather was poor and she was still a little skittish on the snow. She had had a very rough time on Fuller Ridge and had lost her confidence moving across snow. Not wanting to sit around for 2 or 3 weeks, we flipped up to Northern California. We traveled south from hwy 299, near Burney, to Sierra City. After three weeks we returned to Horseshoe Meadow to pick up where we had left off. We entered the Sierra on July 1st.

I found the experience of flipping around a bit of a drag. It broke my momentum. There was a lot of down time involved in traveling back and forth from Lone Pine (a lot of money too). Too many town days, bus rides and hours spent hitching. I was quite anxious to be back on the trail. But, due to our situation we would have had quite a bit more time away from the trail had we stayed put for three weeks. While your experience would likely vary greatly from ours, I can at least relay a few observations:

In 2009 the snow in Northern California was minimal (from Sierra City to Burney) during the second half of June.
Water was plentiful, the weather near perfect, the mosquitoes only an occasional nuisance.
You can catch a bus ride most of the way. (Reno and beyond)
You'll have the trail all to yourself.
Trail angles were willing to help even though we were weeks ahead of the pack. (call before dropping in)

The snow in Sierra passes was very doable in July.
The mosquitoes were brutal.
Almost no thru hikers around, but 2-3 dozen JMT hikers per day. It was crowded in some areas.
The scenery was phenomenal.
After comparing pictures, we had it easier, by far, than all those who chose to push through the weather and snow.
Hitching seemed more difficult once away from the pack. People know when thru season is and are willing to stop for a hiker. Away from the pack you're just a couple of dirty homeless people on the side of the road.

Keep in mind that you have 700 miles to work things out before it's an issue. That gives you a long time to think, communicate. Plans are fluid when your out there. Hiking as a couple will pose so many different obstacles that by June you'll know what you'll need to do. Stay together, split up, jump north? Leave yourself set up, gear wise, in case of separation.

All that being said, I have absolutely no plan on skipping ahead when we hit the trail again next year.

Jackass