[pct-l] Have had a hard time convincing my hiking partner...

Ellen Shopes igellen at comcast.net
Mon Nov 30 06:20:57 CST 2009

I know we're into the boring winter months, but this problem feels to me
like it's a result of over-planning.

Here's where I'm coming from...who knows how either one of you will feel
when you reach KM?  Maybe one or the other will have had an injury at some
point.  Maybe someone will already have dropped a trail section for some
reason (an emergency at home, inability to adapt to the heat, etc).  Maybe
motivations will change as you hike.  You might reach KM and want to jump
ahead, and she'll be suddenly curious about the trail thru the Sierras.
Maybe this year there will be 200% of the usual snowpack and no one will be
getting thru!

You should be honest with each other about how you might deal with issues as
they come up.  Will you both be OK with splitting for awhile on the trail?
If one drops completely, what will the other partner do?  I agree with
others' comments that it's not a matter of convincing the partner to do what
you wish, but of coming to an agreement that respects both individuals'
decisions.  It sounds like you have different hiking philosophies from the
get-go, and may want to plan your packs for the times when you will likely
split on the trail (ie, 2 shelters/bivies, cook sets, whatever).

Re: the food drops.  I read recently in some nutrition journal that females
are engineered to think about food more than males; our senses of
taste/smell, our focus on food availability, etc are part of a survival
program genetically coded.  Don't know if it's true or not.  I do know that
I'm spending a bunch of time 'fussing' over our resupply process for next
year, while my husband 'goes with the flow' (which means he lets me fuss!).
While I know we can do some buying as we go, I'm not willing to totally
junk-out--I want some degree of balanced nutrition, if only to help our
aging bodies with the daily recovery process.  Let her figure it out;
planning can be part of the fun!

Elderly Ellen