[pct-l] Tarp Experience? (J J at Ridge Trail)

dave encisco dencisco at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 26 11:56:16 CST 2009

Hi Jim,

I've experimented with many tarp designs and finally settled on the rather expensive Integral Design Silshelter. I don't have to worry too much about rain here in CA, but I have been stuck in a couple of good snow storms in the Silshelter and it worked great! I've also used the Integral Siltarp and a Golite tarp that's no longer made. Those tarps worked fine in the typical CA/OR rain bursts but I was also carrying a very light weight bivy sack as well. My issue is that I like to camp above treeline whenever possible, where a tarp tent can be difficult to keep from blowing away. That's why I like the Integral Silshelter. I don't have to spend the time looking for a completely sheltered spot. (I'm 5'11" by the way).

Good luck! Finding the perfect tarp solution can be a never ending obsession.

Dave