[pct-l] Tarp Experience?

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Thu Nov 26 09:21:00 CST 2009

I used a golite poncho as a tarp in southern california, specifically
the section I hiked this year, which was from Hikertown to Kennedy
Meadows. I am short and I fit well inside. It rained, but never at
night so I don't have experience in this small shelter in the rain.

My friend Lenny had the same tarp and he is 6'5" and used it for the
entire hike in rain, snow and whatever.

I switched to a tent after Kennedy Meadows. I know I could not stand
going without bug protection. I need a large expanse to relax in the
heat outside my sleeping bag without insects, which were able to bite
through my pants.

In Washington I walked by a man using a tarp. It had been a rainy
night and I had been misted on inside my tent. It was still raining
when I walked by him in the early morning. He didn't look any wetter
than I was, maybe even drier, but said it had been a difficult night.

Diane