[pct-l] risk reduction on swift water crossings

will.hiltz at gmail.com will.hiltz at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 15:50:06 CST 2009

The best advice I can give anyone on this subject, especially in the PCT context is this:

If you are unsure, WAIT for someone else to come along. On the PCT there is never anyone too far behind you. It is safer to cross with someone else, even one other person. Link arms and shuffle across facing upstream. I recommend undoing your hip belt, but opinions vary on this. If things go bad and you get swept downstream, you want to be able to get that pack off ASAP.

Always consider looking up or downstream for a better place to cross if it looks gnarly.

Easy