[pct-l] shoes

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Sat Nov 21 12:21:03 CST 2009

On Nov 21, 2009, at 10:00 AM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:
> Hi all. Was hoping you guys could comment on shoes that were used.
> Whatever they may be, trail runners, boots, etc. Pros and cons. You
> get the idea. I live in south florida and don't have any outfitters
> down here where I can try on a variety of shoes. If it helps with
> suggestions, I pronate, 5'09, 170-80. Thank you all so much.

Lightweight, breathable, non-goretex trail runners or lightweight
hikers work well. I wore trail and street runners for the entire
distance, after learning my lesson about goretex at the beginning. P-
U and yuk. Goretex on your feet in the desert really sucks.

The trail is so flat and smooth most of the time. It's very soft once
you hit the forests. It's only vary rarely full of painful rocks. You
can get by on shoes that other trails might eat for lunch.

Add some dirtygirl gaiters and you'll be in the height of hiker trash
fashion.

Shoes are really personal. I met a guy wearing Chacos and no socks. I
met another guy with Chacos and socks. I wore Chacos across Fuller
Ridge in the snow. Worked well, but I prefer shoes. I met a guy in
Oregon who wore flip-flops. Said he had heel spurs so this was what
worked for him.

Enjoy!