[pct-l] Beef Jerky Recipe

boundforadventure at gmail.com boundforadventure at gmail.com
Sun Nov 15 14:33:08 CST 2009

I used both the AT and California Jerky recipes on my hike this summer.
Both are from Lipsmackin' Backpackin'. I preferred the California recipe.
After I got home, I made some more jerky, except this time I modified a
recipe I got online. I like this one the best.

THIS AIN'T YOUR STORE-BOUGHT JERKY

3 lbs. steak (round, flank, etc.)
4 TBL soy sauce
4 TBL brown sugar
4 TBL Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion salt
1 (16-oz.) bottle Coca Cola (Coke) - (or 2 cups)
1-2 hot peppers *

Slice semi-frozen steak, trimmed of visible fat, into 1/4" slices. (A meat
slicer works really well.) Divide meat into two groups and place each group
into a gallon-sized zip-type bag. In a medium bowl, mix the other
ingredients. *Add finely diced hot peppers or crushed dried hot peppers if
you like your jerky spicy. Eyeball this mixture and place half in each zip
bag. Zip bags closed, removing as much air as possible. Place in
refrigerator for 8-24 hours. Turn every 4 hours or so, to ensure that meat
has been imbued with the mixture. Preheat dehydrator and trays to
145°.Remove one tray from dehydrator. If possible place over sink to catch
drips. Using tongs, place meat around the outside edges of the tray.
Continue with remaining trays until all of the meat is on the trays.
Discard bags and remaining liquid. Dehydrate meat until it is dry
throughout. When done, turn off dehydrator and allow jerky to cool. package
in suitable containers, or zip-type bags. Jerky will last indefinitely.