[pct-l] Boiled "Jack Daniels" Hiker Menu

Stephen Adams reddirt2 at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 13 23:09:52 CST 2009

I just tried that on my Cartridge Creek ramble a couple weeks back and
was inflicted with the worst case of hiccups I have ever known.  So
the morning after crossing Taboose Pass I swore I would never have
boiled Jack for breakfast again !

Side note:  And what Is it with Taboose Pass?  Four times in a row
now, When heading up to Taboose Pass I have met JMT hikers bailing out
at probably one of the worst trail heads to do so.  Granted the SIerra
Shuttle has their number and an add on the backcountry signboard, but
one would have to have the dreaded cell phone and charged battery.
You will also have to hike until you get reception etc...
This last couple bailed because of two inches of snow.  It was freakin
cold though.  But I gave them a great weather report and tried to
convince them to hike two more passes  and bail at Onion Valley.
Nope, they, and everyone else I have met who is bailing is pretty much
done so they think.  Then you get to the trailhead and discover it is
a long lonesome walk to the highway which is now divided and not hitch
friendly.  At least Onion is very busy and lots of ride possibilities
down to Independence.