[pct-l] Pct-l Digest, Vol 23, Issue 27

Paul Cronshaw beemancron at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 11 21:14:41 CST 2009

Hi Diane,

Your mother is right.  Even after raising bees for the past 30 years, I find that a beesting still hurts, especially in the face, ears, nose, lips.  This is one reason why we beekeepers wear protective clothing, albeit mostly a bee veil when working with these interesting insects.

Besides Eric the Black's suggestion of  "run like hell", another suggestion is to have your bug net handy to cover your head, don your rain protection clothing quickly, and run fast while looking for some bushes, building, tent, car etc to dive into for added protection.

BTW Since we both live in Santa Barbara you are more than welcome to learn about the wonderful art and science of beekeeping and join me as I check my hives.  We need more beekeepers in this world to raise/save honeybees that provide honey which gives us energy to hike the PCT and pollinate much of the food that we eat on the PCT.

Paul "The Beeman" Corns
My bee pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/beemancron/BeePhotos#