[pct-l] Pct-l Digest, Vol 23, Issue 24

Michael Peterson wordgrouper at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 10 10:10:40 CST 2009

As a former commercial beekeeper, I was pleased to read one of the few
balanced and reliable articles I've seen on the so-called Africanized Honey
Bees. Though much hyped by Hollywood as dangerous, the bee is a wonderful
creature and you'll find those little ladies who are out and about doing
their business quite spectacular to watch, and generally, they will not hurt
you. I disagree with two aspects of the report - one, flail away, it'll make
you feel good, and may in fact reduce a sting or two. The report also says
do not kill an attacking bee because the crushed carcass will release a
scent that will attract other bees. Too late - the stinging releases the
scent because the honey bee leaves the stinger behind, inducing its own
death. Again, flail away, and RUN. Running works very well. Any bee out
working, gathering nectar, is a happy bee and will not bother you. The
warnings are for those accidently meeting up with a hive, or for you idiots
that mess with one on purpose. Next time you see one of these gals, thank
her for the vital gifts her species contributes to our world.