[pct-l] section D therapy, and renewal, and crowding

canoeman at qnet.com canoeman at qnet.com
Fri Nov 6 11:30:07 CST 2009

I have the benefit of having pleasant view ridge literally in my back yard.
my 20 butts up against the pleasant view ridge wilderness.
I am just now getting back into  long hiking/backpacking after a long hiatus
after a major  traumatic work accident. Three years, 7 surgeries, 90 pound
weight gain  (opra and pizza and vicoden).
lesson number 1, dont eat like you did when you were very active.;-)So it's nice
to have the forest there as therapy. It's amazing how many fat jokes you hear
on the trail,  from young twirps who were not even born yet, when I was walking
the PCT, or paddled from Athabasca to Churchill in the 80's,  but I'm back into
hiking full swing, and it feels great.
One of my concerns is how crowded the remaining unburned San Gabriels will be
next year.
The cooler and stereo crowd will be flooding the unburned sections.
I'm sure there will be permit quotas next year, for trips into the ANF.
I have a feeling it will resemble the crowding at Yosemite valley.