[pct-l] End of Earth in 2012

Bill Burge bill at burge.com
Wed Nov 4 22:26:15 CST 2009

That seemed a little harsh...

I kind of agreed with him.  There are people on the trail who don't
accept that the level of danger DOES depend on themselves.  (I can
think of some from this year.)

They depend on others to bail them out, either with technology (SPoT)
or by being a burden on the trail to others who decide they can't just
hike past them with a "they should have known better" attitude.

I don't think hikers should go with fear in their head, but they
should go with _something_ in their head.  Telling people who don't
yet have that "something" engrained in them, that "the trail is
without fear", robs them of the opportunity to learn how to handle the
situations that will produce fear (and danger) if they are not prepared.

BillB