[pct-l] Sealing

Jim & Jane Moody moodyjj at comcast.net
Tue Nov 3 18:47:09 CST 2009

I used a similar sealer on the AT a few years ago, with mixed results.  When properly vacuum-sealed, dry mix meals stayed fresh and dry.  When I wasn't careful with food bits getting into the seal itself, air would get in and defeat the purpose.  Don't overload the bags or cut them too small for the portion.

Cheese will need to be refrigerated or eaten within a day or two, esp in hot weather.  An alternative I have found are freeze-dried (not dehydrated) foods.  There are several vendors; I use Provident Pantry (beprepared.com).  They carry 6 or 8 meats, more than a dozen veggies, 4 or 5 kinds of cheese, and 6 or 8 fruits.  All are tasty, UL, reconstitute quickly, long-lasting without refrigeration, and can be eaten directly, as an on-the-trail snack.  The drawbacks are price and volume; the products come in #10 cans.  PP is obviously an LDS company, as are a few others I have found.  Great products for giving variety and nutrition to ramen, instant mashed potatoes, Lipton sides, etc.

Another suggestion - make friends with the head of food service with your local school system.  I've had some great advice from ours.

Mango