[pct-l] Scary encounters

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Sun Nov 1 08:34:13 CST 2009

So I'm not on the trail and I'm worried about how to handle these
dangerous conditions:
1) There might be chemicals in my water supply. Should I treat my water?
2) Wild animals. The skunks and raccoons raid my backyard food supply
every night. I've hung my avocados as high as I can in my 40 foot
trees. I keep my raccoon canisters (i.e. trash cans) secure. I'm
afraid they might attack with their razor sharp teeth.
3) There are these large predators that roam the streets and try to
run me over when I'm walking across the street or riding my bike.
Many of them have people inside holding small devices that they
either press against their ears or most often hold down at elbow
level tapping with one hand on the buttons. I'm afraid these massive
beasts are going to kill me.
4) Packs of little kids in scary costumes roamed the streets carrying
H1N1 all over the neighborhood. I'm afraid to go outside. Germs
everywhere.

Maybe I should stay out in the forest? What do you think? I mean, I
saw a smelly, hairy beast maybe once in a while on the trail but here
in the city? Those giant rolling phone booth/internet cafes are
everywhere and the place is crawling with coughing children. It's
just too dangerous. Is there a class I can take?