[pct-l] Things I've learned from the PCT-L

Cris cj5w4wd at earthlink.net
Sun May 31 18:11:01 CDT 2009

Pepsi can stoves.  Started me on the road to lightening up my load (or with
my knees I wouldn't be able to do this at all).
Trash compactor bags.  Perfect pack liners!  Never would have thought of
that one.
Goodwill Stores.  Bought my grandkids some "hiker trash" poly shirts and UL
rain gear today.  They love them-Only $3.
Silnylon.  You know you can buy this stuff at Wal-Mart??
Nido powdered whole milk.what an improvement over that watery stuff.  Trail
pudding.  Yum.
Starbucks instant coffee.hopefully available everywhere soon.  Starbucks.com
Freezer bag cooking and One Pan Wonders!  (I like good trail food!)
Transportation links.  Yes, unsupported long section hikes are very
possible.
Duct tape, dental floss and large eye sewing needle, silnylon and glue=cheap
repair kit
TEC screws + mini driver = emergency crampons
How to pronounce "Seiad"
Poodle dog bush is NOT CUTE!
Where is the water?
Where are the fires?
Where's the best breakfast buffet?
And, most important, where's the beer?

I've also learned there is a wealth of information to be gained from this
diverse hiking community in spite of various personality quirks.  I've
lurked for many years, learning tips for my section hikes, enjoying the fun
and sometimes using "delete" where necessary. If it were not for these
voices of experience, many of us would be learning the hard way, and with
limited hiking time vs "real" life, that could take a long time.  And how
many would just give up?

Cris
...mountains don't tolerate fools...