[pct-l] Oregon Sec B update

Tortoise Tortoise73 at charter.net
Thu May 28 22:14:21 CDT 2009

If I recall correctly from my visit to Craters of the Moon National
Monument last summer, when the  basalt is first broken it is the rusty
red color you see and then it eventually changes to the dark brown one
usually sees. I don't recall the chemical process though. So all the red
cinders are probably from a local source, maybe just from busting the
trail through.

Sounds like a great trip.  I hope to get up there this summer.

Tortoise

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."

--H. L. Mencken

<> He who finishes last, wins! <>