[pct-l] The value of the pct-l

Richard Thalhammer rickt at macnexus.org
Sat May 23 21:59:55 CDT 2009

I think Kerry has it exactly right.  When folks inquire about issues
pertaining to the Trail, whether it be equipment, food, travel issues,
water, etc., the responses are on point, generous in the information
provided, and virtually always couched in appropriately deferential
terms, e.g., "Just my choice, YMMV", etc.  Sarcasm, sexism, insult--we
just don't see it in that context.  Only when someone starts a topic
that is, in all but the loosest definition of the purpose of the list,
not relevant, does it seem that the usual bad behavior we can observe
in any newspaper story comment list will emerge.  It is a phenomenon
of the electronic communication process, I've learned; people very
seldom would behave that rudely to one another in person (although we
all know exceptions even to that).
	I suggest the answer is patience and tolerance for this phenomenon to
those who would prefer the list be limited only to those things
mentioned in my first sentence.  No list will ever be so perfect, but,
overall, the value of the pct-l to all of us who subscribe is beyond
price.  Beneath the noise comes that value, and, at least for me, I
can ignore or grit my teeth past those entries I'd rather not see, in
order to enjoy what so many contributors strive to provide us.
	For those who want to add the off-topic stuff, that's your
privilege.  I just wish those feeling a need to make or address such
contributions would follow the same respectful pattern we find when
the subject pertains to the PCT itself.  That would go a long way in
making the pct-l what we all probably want it to be.

Rick Thalhammer