[pct-l] Fragmenting the PCT information sources

Bill BillBatch at cox.net
Sat May 23 16:25:57 CDT 2009

Well,

I had been holding back my thoughts, but since this dialog has some legs I
think I will chime in briefly.

I concur, as I have said before, that the list has lost much of its
usefulness.  On a recent hike from Agua to Hiker Town I met a handful of
hikers and trail mainstays.  I don't go out of my way to bring up the PCT-L,
but it did come up twice.  Both times the list came up multiple people were
present.  The response in both cases was something like this:

"So and so from the PCT-L said . . ."

And the gathered would let out a simultaneous, "Oh God, the firkin LIST -
what has happened there."  "Yea, I bailed out"  "I had some serious
questions, well serious to me, and . . . it was difficult to get the
feedback from the noise", "there are some real mean spirited people on the
list"  "Yes, and you know that in person they don't act like that at all!"",
"too many jokes, everything's a joke".

These responses came from newbies as well as long time community members.
Many said they have either unsubscribed, have simply stopped reading.
Others are considering punting.

I am not sure what to do about it.  It is like a committee that has gathered
weekly for some noble cause and over the years the cause is all but
forgotten.  Now, it is just a bunch of people socializing or arguing.   No
one really remembers the exact reason they started meeting every week, but
what they do know is that so-and-so is an ass, that they are the funniest
person in the room, no thought should go unsaid, and that you do not need to
wait for the microphone, raise a hand, or even know the point of the
meeting!   You can just BLAH, HAHAHA, YOU SUCK, until your hearts content.

Meanwhile, the person who read the "flyer" about this great meeting place of
experienced hikers shows up at a meeting and says - what the heck is THIS?

Why were we here?

Pink Gumby