[pct-l] anger vs discussion

Amanda L Silvestri aslive at sbcglobal.net
Sat May 23 00:57:42 CDT 2009

Yes, sometimes we go off on tangents here on the list.  That is not necessarily a bad thing as long as we manage to have a civilized discussion.  The exchange of ideas is healthy.  Exposure to different points of view can allow us to see things from an angle we had not considered before.  We certainly don't have to agree with everything that is said.  If we did then there would be no point in having the discussion.  A little humor now and then can also help to lighten things up a bit, as long as it is not hurtful or mean spirited.

In my humble opinion, we would do well to guard against becoming emotionally invested in the outcome of these discussions.  This is not a contest, race or battle between ideologies.  It is the exchange of information and experience and yes, sometimes opinion.  There is no need for winners and losers or to get in the last word.  Just as the tent, sleeping bag, or cooking system that may work best for one person, won't quite cut it for another, so it is with opinions, beliefs and attitudes.  One size does not fit all.

I thank everyone for sharing what they know, have experienced, seen, read or heard.  I thank you for honoring me with you opinion and beliefs.  I only ask that we respect each other enough to allow for the differences.  I encourage a polite exchange where no one needs feel attacked or belittled and everyone feels safe and welcome.

I'm sorry.  Too preachy?

Shepherd