[pct-l] Mtned's missive

mark v allemande6 at yahoo.com
Thu May 21 20:57:33 CDT 2009

The response below was addressed to me.  In my post, i made no mention of legal restrictions on carrying a gun in the wilderness, just like i have never made mention of thru-hiking the PCT with a 80-lb. pack needing to be made a felony.  Individuals surely have to make individual choices.  The one applicable difference though is that nobody ever accidentally killed someone else by carrying an 80-lb. pack.  People who do not carry guns however, do regularly get killed by people who do carry them.  I know there are many fine points to whether the quantity of accidental deaths merit illegalization, further restrictions, or no action whatsoever.  I'm not wanting to even begin discussing that, since legality of carrying a gun on the PCT is NOT the issue at hand (unless this came up in one of the many posts i didn't read).  I merely wanted to point out that the pros and cons, weighed by someone with actual facts instead of gut feelings and singular
 experiences, is going to stastically highlight that guns do not save people from attacks in the wilderness on any regular basis, while they do cause a multitude of accidental injuries (and worse), and they do weigh a lot (extra weight, in the end being proven to lead to injuries or worse).